Monday, October 12, 2009

Crumble

I’ve begun writing a weekly ingredient column for Saveur.com. It’s a pleasure to be part of Saveur again; my very first job with the magazine was as a test kitchen intern ten years ago.

Time-wise, it’s replaced my blogging. Plus, I’ve begun taking grad journalism classes at the NYU’s Journalism School, and something about reporting rigor has made me less interested in spilling out my social life amongst the bits. Live and learn.

My last post was from the beach in North Carolina – was that just six weeks ago? And now, I'm surrounded by pears, plums and apples. I still haven’t mastered the pie crust (total mental block), but I’m happy with my easy crumbles. Who wants all those pie crust flour calories, anyway, when you can have butter and sugar calories?

Gingered Pear Crumble
Makes 6 to 8 servings

For the topping:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small bits and chilled
1/2 cup pecans

For the filling:
4 large or 6 medium pears, peeled and cut into thin slices
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
Pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 375F. For the topping: In a food processor, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pulse to combine.

2. Add the butter and pulse 6 to 8 times until mixture has pea-sized pieces of butter mixed in with the flour and oats. Add the pecans and pulse a few more times to coarsely chop the pecans and to mix them through the topping. Transfer the topping to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pears, sugar, corn starch, lemon juice, ginger and salt. Gently fold all ingredients together. Transfer the filling into an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.

4. Once the topping is chilled, loosely scatter it over the top of the fruit in the baking dish. Bake for until fruit is bubbly and top is golden, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you again. Good luck with all your endeavors. Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it. Where is the best place to get crystalized gignger? I live in rural NC and I'm not sure where it might be.
Thanks for your blog. I appreciated all you suggestions.
YKW

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home