Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Slippery Slope to Prime Meat: Skirt Steak with Chimichurri

Park Slope, where I hang my hat, is a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood; the kind where there’s a steady stream of boutiques opening where yesterday’s bodega used to be. I like to window shop, because everything’s beautiful, but it’s definitely an “if you have to ask you cant afford it” type of neighborhood. I tend to limit my local shopping to the grocery variety.

So this week, I was taking my dog for an early morning walk, and found myself near a posh grocery store. They were roasting chicken with rosemary -- even Kayla's nose started to tweak. I was hungry. I needed meat.

I walked to the meat guy, and spied a nice piece of skirt steak. It's my go-to; always dependably tasty, and usually around $6 per pound. Unfortunately, this USDA prime meat had it’s price tag obscured, so I had to engage in the humiliating Park Slope game of ask the price from the snooty salesperson.

I could see it was more than one-digit a pound, so I figured 10, 11 tops. “That’s $14 a pound mam.” I looked at the meat man-child incredulously. “$14!!?” I asked/exclaimed. “It’s Prime meat, ma’am.”

I looked at him. He was pulling tone. I was in a grocery store at 8AM, and not going to let him get away with making me feel like a moron for what, quite clearly, was price gouging. “I understand it’s prime meat. I don’t need prime, this is a cheap cut and we both know that.”

“Well you can go to Key Food or Associated, if that’s how you shop.” Big dig.

I may not have enough money to shop here, but I sure can have an opinion, “They have wonderful butchers, but typically select. I want choice. Can I order it from you?”

“We’re prime only.”

I thanked him for his time and did a lap around the store. This was ridiculous. The same meat at Fairway (that’s right, prime), was $4.99 just last week. Argh.

He motioned me over. “Listen lady, you seem like you really want this steak. I’m not going to argue with you about it. How much you want?”

“But I, I…I don’t have my wallet, and I only have $20 on me”

“How much you want?”

“3 pounds?” I said, sheepishly.

He measured out my gorgeous, marbled skirt steak and slapped on a sticker indicating that this was chopped meat at $5.99 per pound.

When asked, I always encourage my cooking students to develop relationships with their food purveyors; and this is exactly why. Your fish guy, meat guy, and Italian specialty guy want to deal with someone who appreciates what they do. Everyone, from children to grocery stores, likes to test the limits. And the only thing that trumps getting your way is finding a worthy opponent who raises your game.

On this night, I had my steak and ate it to. Thank you, Fernando. I’ll be back soon.

Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Serves 4

1 ¼ cups fresh Italian parsley (packed)
1 cup cilantro leaves (packed)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 to ½-teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds boneless hanger, skirt, or rib-eye steaks, about 1/3-inch thick

1. To make the chimichurri: In the bowl of a food processor, combine parsley, cilantro, and garlic and chop. Place chopped parsley mixture in a bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and crushed red pepper. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead.) Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot (smoke will rise from the surface of the skillet). Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes without turning. Then sear on the other side for 3 minutes. Allow the steak to sit for 5 minutes before cutting into slices on the bias. Serve the steak slices drizzled with the chimichurri sauce.


PS. Days later I popped by the store to pick up a little Gruyere for French Onion Soup. The cashier rang up my purchase, but for some reason, the cheese rang up as $0.00. I couldn't do it again; I had to let her know. Honesty; it's what you make of it. :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Girl........ethics are a treasure and so is your recipe!

I have heard that since fewer people are going to upscale restaurants, grocery stores are flooded with 'prime meat'....possibly?
YKW

5:47 PM  
Blogger ECD said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home