Friday, December 05, 2008

5th Avenue Freeze Out: Breakfast Rice and Beans

It's frigging cold in New York. And I have no heat or hot water. In fact, I haven't had either for two weeks.

Because I'm a little bit outside the bell curve, this doesn't bother me all that much. It treat my condition like a challenge, my own surviror: at home episode, winter camping indoors. I have a lot of sweaters and blankets, for one, and a nifty electric space heater. I cope.

Foodwise, I require a lot of hot beverages in the evenings, and absolutely must have a warm breakfast.

I'm a savory breakfast kind of girl, so I don't reach for the bisquick or frozen waffles. Scrambled eggs don't hold the heat, and oatmeal feels too fiber-functional. I've been trying to make some room in the pantry, so I'm always rehydrating (pinto, black, cranberry) beans, and cooking up a pot of (brown, jasmin, basmati) rice. That means at any given time, I have delicious rice and beans, separately, in my refrigerator.

And since I love a savory morning, I'm not wishing for Fruity Pebbles as I toss the nutritious duo in a small skillet, with some salsa for a flavor boost. When the thing is warm (after about a minute on a medium flame) I crack an egg into the center, and cover the skillet with a lid.

After three minutes, I have a sunnyside up egg, with delicious, savory rice and beans -- a quick huevos rancheros. I could add chopped cilantro, sour cream, grated cheddar, avocado, jalapenos, and corn tortillas (if I felt like it), but that would require that I open the refrigerator. I haven't warmed up quite yet.

I pour the steaming savory skillet into a bowl and eat. Lots of flavor, varied texture, and a nice nutritious egg yolk to make a sauce. It's a warming way to begin the day, a meal I'll enjoy long after the heat goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home