Saturday, June 27, 2009

You Can Order Anything at the Butcher: Stuffed Peppers

The terrific folks over at Hyperion have given me a box of Cook Yourself Thin books to distribute to industry friends. That's good, because I've spent at least a couple episodes' of revenue buying books and giving them away.

I decided that it would be classier to wrap said books than not, and wouldn't it be cute to wrap them in butcher paper and butcher string? Where does one go to get said "wrap"? To the butcher, I went!

I've got 20 books, so that's a heck of a lot of paper, more than I would feel comfortable asking for on the side. So I went to my guy, and asked if I could order some some butcher paper.

"Whaddya mean, 'butcher paper'?"

"I mean, the paper that you, the butcher, use to pack things up?"

"You mean this?" He holds up the white glossy paper that's thicker than parchment, and usually touches the meat.

"No, that's not it. The brown paper. There it is -- on the roll!"

"Ah, you mean peach paper."

I guess I did. And so I ordered a $40 roll -- enough to last me through a decade of baby gifts, showers, and Chanukah presents.

Butchers always seem like a rough-and-tumble lot to me. You know, carving up carcasses, handling meat. And yet, he called the stuff peach paper; not pink, not brown, not 'meat wrap'. It seemed so delicate; so precise.

And what was I expecting, exactly? After all, you don't go to China asking for Chinese food, now do you?



Antipasti Platter in Providence's Little Italy. The Stuffed Peppers are at 12 o'clock and 4 o'clock:

Stuffed Peppers
I suppose you could make them, but I don't, especially when trading favors with my butcher. These perky little peppers are stuffed with prosciutto and provolone, which both accentuate, enhance, and then relieve the fire in your mouth. They also come stuffed with breadcrumbs, but I like the low-carb version myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clear photo, a little bonus in the current blog.

Who knew it was called peach paper?

YKW

1:37 PM  
Blogger Catheryn said...

Hi Allison

I actually wrote one of the recipes in Cook Yourself Thin - the garden fresh quiche. Now I see through Jessica's Biscuit that the book is a best seller in the USA as well as in the UK. And I'm still happy about my weight - down to 61 kgs from 73 kgs and happily cooking and eating slow roast pork with apple balsamic sauce yesterday for my family. And I did it for fun - so did not even get a fee! Ask them for more next time! Catheryn K

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home