Sunday, October 15, 2006

Kitchen's Closing: Apple Tart Tatin

So my last posting was a real doozie. Sad, self-deprecating, a few weak attempts at humor, but more than anything, pretty freaking depressing. It's made me rethink this whole blog thing.

I've been blogging for almost a year now. I wanted to commit to my Friday postings for an entire year, just to get into the rhythm of writing. The goal was to review foods and techniques that I was finding in other people's kitchens. Except that didn't work out too well, because not enough people were inviting me over for dinner, and when they did, they didn't want me to report on the meal. Fair enough.

So what could I do? Report on meals I ate myself. The year started well enough, dating JChef gave some great material. Until he requested that he be left out of the blog. Very hard to write honestly about your life while leaving out a major part.

Then it occured to me that JChef was on to something -- having that much of your life revealed is a little weird. In this blogging, reality, lurk-a-lot media culture, I forgot that sometimes it is better to keep the curtains drawn. But when I pulled back, the enteries were BOOOOORRRRINNG.

You responded to my love life, and truly, when I looked back at the week and thought about what was on my mind, it was usually the people in my life. I'm a human being, my relationships are of primary importantce to me (not just romance, but being a sister (and as of October 10th, an AUNT! Yippee!, a daughter, a friend, a dog-owner, etc). Without them, I wilt. But when I added some bits about love, they've been mostly inauthentic and guarded. As a result, the enteries have been both boring AND depressing.

I got a little lost on my way. This blog is called in YOUR kitchen. It's supposed to be about those little delicious things other people make in their kitchens that you'd just love to know about.

So what to do? If you've been reading for the recipes, here's the good news: I'm still going to write them weekly. But this time I'm going to try to get back to the original point of this thing, and keep it about the food. Instead of making it super personal, I'll put in a bit more about health, and make it the type of thing my grandmothers would read, not cringe and cross their legs.



Apple Tart Tatin
Adapted from a far more complicated recipe in Bon Appetit
Serves 8

Perfect recipe for right now; pick great baking apples (I'm giving you a hint on one, but ask your local farmer's market vendor...they can be fun to talk to). This recipe is an easy twist on a classic (like good old-fashioned discretion), delicious, and a bit out of the ordinary.

1 package good-quality puff pastry (Fresh Direct makes some kick-ass puff, or Dufour, Pepperidge Farm if you must)
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
8 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and halved
1 egg
Crème fraîche, sour cream, or vanilla ice cream

1. Spread butter over bottom of 9-inch-diameter ovenproof nonstick skillet with sloping sides (skillet should be at least 1 3/4 inches deep). Reserve 2 tablespoons sugar; sprinkle remaining sugar over butter. Place skillet over medium-low heat and cook until butter melts, sugar begins to dissolve and mixture starts to bubble, about 3 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Arrange apples rounded-side down around edge of skillet, placing tightly together. Arrange as many of remaining apples as will fit, in 2 circles in center of skillet. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
3. Set skillet over medium-high heat; boil until thick peanut butter-color syrup forms, repositioning skillet often for even cooking and adding remaining apples as space permits, about 45 minutes (syrup will continue to darken during baking). Remove from heat.
4. Meanwhile, position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425 °F.
5. Roll out puff pastry on floured surface to 10-inch round; place over apples. Cut four 2-inch slits in top of pastry. Press pastry down around apples at edge of skillet; brush pastry with some of egg glaze.
6. Bake tart until pastry is deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to work surface; cool 1 minute. Cut around edge of skillet to loosen pastry. Place large platter over skillet. Using oven mitts, hold the skillet and platter together tightly and invert, allowing tart to fall onto platter. Carefully lift off skillet. Rearrange any apples that may have become dislodged. Cool tart 30 minutes.
7. Cut warm tart into wedges. Serve with crème fraîche.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the idea of keeping your blob centered around food and not your personal life is a good one.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, so great to hear. I was just about to give up after months of the focus being about men, or the lack thereof. Looking forward to your new leaf and surge of confidence.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Ok I understand and applaud your new direction, but if you want to talk anytime about the other stuff, call me.

In the meantime, I am now two recipes behind. I better start cooking.

YKW

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

selfishly, i like reading about what's going on in your life, but i do understand about the feeling naked and lurked at thing -- which is why i started my own blog and then pretty much ceased after a couple of entries. congrats on becoming an aunt -- will keep reading and try to cook something one of these days. xo mal

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just logged on after a few weeks hiatus, hoping for a recipe. I was uneasy reading about your feelings of rejection, your pain seems so palpable. I suppose it’s true that having you're private life exposed for all to view and poke at can be embarrassing. I hope you haven’t given up on the recipes. DL

4:48 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Although, I was thoroughly enjoying your very personal entries, I totally understand your desire not to expose your like to anyone with internet access! I will keep reading your blog and will definitely start trying your healthy recipes. Thanks for the tip on the FreshDirect puff pastry!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home