Friday, September 22, 2006

New Year, New Health: Spaghetti & Meatballs

It's September and I'm antsy. For the formulative years, this was when I found out what I'd be doing for the next nine months. There were syllabi, books, agendas...I was planning the semester, the year, the next four years, grad school, whatever. Looming on the horizon was an exam (SATs, finals), or applications (college, advanced classes). There were goals, there was focus, there was a straight line for success.

I feel a Pavlovian pull to sign up in September. Suddenly, I must become a member of the Food Coop. Take a class a the Open Center. I start buying text books and study, because that's what I've always done. I was a good student, homework always in on time, getting gold stars and straight A's. I want those stars again, dammit.

Conveniently, I've got what seems like an eternity to sit in temple and contemplate the year's syllabus. I know, I'm supposed to be comtemplating and repenting for last year's good and bad deeds, but I'm one hell of a multitasker. I can even find the time to think about choice words for those who wear garish animal prints to shul.

This year, I did a little pre-requisite reading of alternative health thought leaders like Ms. Sally Fallon, Mr. Paul Check, and Sir Paul Pitchford. Though they all recommend moderation, I've begun swearing off sugar, alcohol and white starches of all kinds.

And you know what? Seems like I need to reread that chapter on moderation. If you've ever gone through this kind of phase you know. Though I'm a naturally healthy eater, with this kind of obsessive approach, all I want is the bad stuff. I don't drink coffee usually, but tell me I can't and it's all I want. I've bought maybe 3 packs of cigarettes in my life, mostly for other people, and now I'm just dying for a fag. I even bought a melted, dusty Mounds bar the other day. I tell you, it wasn't good.

So I'm regrouping and I've started rethinking the classic basic comforts, starting with The Meatball. Now when you think meatball, you probably don't think health. But look at these ingredients for a second: farm fresh eggs, whole grain bread, organic meat, olive oil, fresh herbs, and that hard-to-find item: loving hands to make the meatballs. This might just be the healthiest food around. Skip the Clif Bars, and make a big batch of these. They freeze well, and will put a smile on everyone's face. What can be healthier than that?

Better Balls
Makes about 20

2 slices whole wheat bread
3/4 cup organic milk
1/2 pound ground organic veal
1/2 pound ground organic pork
1/2 pound ground organic beef
1 large organic egg
1/2 small organic onion, finely minced
1/3 cup chopped organic parsley
2 tablespoons chopped organic basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Olive oil, for shallow frying
A jar of your favorite marinara, or Ciao Luigi Pomodoro Sauce, pureed
1 (8-ounce) box of whole wheat spaghetti
Grated parmesan cheese, for serving

1. Remove crusts from bread, place in a medium bowl and pour milk over. Let sit 10 minutes, and gently squeeze out excess milk. Put bread in a large bowl, discard milk.

2. Add veal, pork, beef, egg, onion, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper to bowl with bread. Gently toss to combine, keeping lightness in your hand and air in the balls (don't squish the meat too much, or you'll end up with tough balls).

3. Roll the balls in your hands to make any size you like; I like mine slightly larger than a golf ball. Refrigerate balls for about 15 - 20 minutes. (This is done to help them firm up and keep their shape during cooking.

4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat enough olive oil to come 1/4-inch up the side. When oil is hot enough to make the meatballs gently sizzle as they hit the pan, add the balls, leaving at least 1/3-inch between (you may need to do this in batches). Let cook about two minutes, then gently shake the skillet to turn the balls. This will keep them round (they're not called meat cubes, are they?). Use a spatula or tongs to help them move -- don't pull them if they're sticking to the bottom; work gently.

5. After about 10 minutes, the meatballs should be browned on all the edges. Add the tomato sauce, bring to a simmer and turn heat very low. Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes, or until balls are cooked through.

6. Cook pasta according to package directions, and serve topped with meat balls, and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good idea. I"m following your suggestion today.
YKW

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had the meatballs and spaghetti tonight. It was wonderful. The best meatballs I've ever made. Not too hard to do either. I also made my own sauce. I just went to the cupboard and pulled out a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, sautéed some garlic and onions in olive oil and VOILA!....oh yes, I added some Italian seasoning, salt and a pinch of sugar. Not bad. I tried to do what you always say, "Just trust yourself to think what should go into a dish and do it."
Thanks...a tentative home cooker

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home