Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Woman Traveling Alone: Steakhouses

I'm on the road again, visiting 10 American cities to discuss "Cool Meals for Hot Summer Nights" on the morning news. I'm making chicken salad and blended cocktails, like Groundhog's Day all over again.

As a solo traveler, I'm dragging props, food and camera-ready outfits all by my lonesome. The silver lining to my cloud of schlep is that I treat myself to one fantastic meal in each city. As a "just one" traveler, it's tempting to eat a Balance Bar and call it a night. But I pack a wrinkle-free outfit, heels, and make an effort to dine. After being humiliated by airport security guards too many times; I need something to dignify domestic travel.

I suppose I could order room service (actually, I couldn't). Or, I could find local eating partners on Craig's List or chowhound, or seek out friends of friends who'll converse with me, but in truth, I like being alone. It's a simple pleasure to enjoy the companionship of one's self in the company of a well-prepared meal.

Plus, I am a not-bad looking, mid-thirties woman without a shiny nugget of "she's-mine" on her finger. A single woman of a certain age dining alone is a curiosity.

But don't take my word for it -- give it a go. To maximize the experience, try a local steakhouse. Women never eat there alone. So maybe you'll be mistaken for a prostitute, but would that be so horrible? I recommend politely declining payment, and saving the story for your friends.

Can't find a steakhouse? Try a Ruth's Chris, there's at least one in every American city. Plus, this successful chain was created by and still run by a woman, Ruth Fertel. I go there because I like her moxie.

Here are a couple of steakhouses I like, in cities across our fine country:

TAMPA: Berns. I swear it's not a brothel, but damned if this place doesn't make you want to put on a bustier, don a hat with feathers, long gloves and take up smoking. I sat in the dining room alone while women looked to me with pity. That was kind of annoying, so I took a tour of the place instead. The wine collection! The fishtanks! Get off your duff and ask your server for a tour. And if you feel the pity police frowning in your direction, retreat to the private dessert rooms. There'll you'll have privacy and a live piano serenade.

CHICAGO: Gene and Georgettis: Thick with history and a strong belief in the power of chivalry. Don't take my word, read the quote above the bar. And while you're there have a seat, a scotch and a steak.

CLEVELAND: Morton's. A chain with class. That dining room has nothing to distract you, and is too dark for reading and writing, so sit in the bar. Eat nothing all day and eat that whole damn loaf of bread yourself. Mmmm.

JACKSONVILLE: Ruth's Chris. A new favorite. On the waterfront. If you ask nicely, they sure will give a single person that gorgeous four top by the windows where you can watch the dolphins. Get the red wine and a steak, the sides are up to you (there are no bad choices here). I asked for extra butter with my steak so I could continue basting the thing, and you can too.

LUGERS: Brooklyn. Go for lunch. In the winter. Let the light stream through those old windows. Get a burger (because it's unconscionable to get or pay for the T-bone solo). Instead, spring for a plate of bacon and the tomato and onion salad. Bourbon is a must. You'll know why as soon as that 8-ounce pour hits your table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home