Saturday, April 28, 2007

Almost A Farmers Daughter: Eggs Three Ways

The farmer’s daughter fantasy works both ways. For men, it’s about Maryanne: gingham, pigtails and a bright shmata on the head. A farmgirl is a sweet lil’ thing that can bake one helluva pie. She’ll take good care of you.

For modern women, it’s the discarded notion of being identified by your lineage, and your pop's profession. It’s about leaving the advanced degrees, glasses and braininess aside, trading it for old-school sufficiency (cow milking, feather pulling, beet growing), and endless chatter about tomorrow’s weather. To be a farmer’s daughter and celebrated as such, is to be like the ripest fruit at the height of the season. Someone worked hard to raise you right.

We urbanites flirt with farmers markets for all kind of reasons Although we’re there ostensibly to buy food, we don't treat it like a grocery store. We’re outside, for crissakes, fraternizing with farmers, inquiring as to the afternoon activities of the now-dead pig laying before us, and picking up a few daffodils for the sill. Role playing rural, we slide on sundresses, sandals, and floppy hats.

Last Saturday, I was very happy to see my pal Rick manning the Rick's Picks booth at the Greenmarket. It had been a while, and we were able to catch up, though not before Rick handed me a wad of cash and limped away. Turns out the truly scarce local resource at these markets is the time to leave your booth so that you can use the facilities.

There I was, and there they were, the costumed urbanites, looking to purchase the $8 jar of Wasabeans or Pickled Beets; a few were wise enough to cough up an extra $2 for the premium price of Smokra (well worth skipping your daily Starbucks). I had enough cash and chutzpah to make accurate change, and the gift of gab required for prattling pickles.

Rick returned, but I couldn’t tear myself away. I was a busy lil' thing, restocking the display, offering samples, and selling up a storm. He relaxed, chatted with friends, and I got to play the role.

While on the farm side of the table, I couldn’t believe how long it took people to just make the purchase; I know how good these pickles are, and believe it’s well worth the $8 investment. But they snack, sample and walk away.

When I finally tore myself away, I headed towards Flying Pigs Farm. Were they really asking $20 for two pork chops? The nerve. The least expensive item I could at the table find was eggs (apparently, when pigs fly they also lay eggs) at $5 per dozen. Sheesh! Can’t I get this at the grocery for $3.29?

Whoops…sorry, you'll have to excuse my alter ego. The same person who pshaws the $2 extra for the smokra is now choking over pricey albumin. I called my own bluff and purchased them.

And was rewarded a thousandfold. They were like no egg I’ve ever tried; sublime, creamy; an egg custard. The yolks weren’t ovals; they were perfect globes, standing up in the whites. And the color? Like a glass of orange juice. I could only bare to poach or sunny-side up these guys; any additional cooking seemed disrespectful. I was raised better than that.

Of course I cannot say this for all expensive, organic, free range products out there (charlatans abound), but this time, score one for the locavores. I stand corrected in my own stingy silliness, and appreciate a farmer who is doing it right. Five bucks now seems like a bargain. Daughter learns a lesson without anyone garnishing my allowance.


Fried Eggs: Sunnyside, Over-easy, Over-hard
This was a recipe I developed for Home Made Simple that can makes one fried egg, one over easy egg, and one over hard egg in the same skillet. I recommend picking a very small skillet for no more than 2 to 3 eggs at a time, and using the same cooking approach (not cooking three different types in the same pan). But it can be done. The cooking methods are all described here.

3 large eggs
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Kosher salt
Cayenne pepper

1. Add butter to a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Crack one egg into a small bowl. Add to skillet, after butter melts and foam subsides. Repeat with remaining eggs; cover with lid.

3. After 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, turn two eggs. When the white of the third egg is completely opaque, remove it to a plate; this is your sunny side up egg. After and additional 45 seconds, remove the second egg; this is over easy. After two minutes more, remove the third egg; this is over hard. Season eggs with salt and pepper, as desired.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the trip to the Farmer's Market. It's always good to see the world through someone else's eyes....and what a wonderful observation you made.
YKW

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home